Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The one that made me a mama!


September 1998…We had just gotten married in March, and I was starting my senior year at The University of Texas in Austin \m/  It was so exciting to see the light at the end of that tunnel.  Michael had just started working for Rick Barnes and the basketball program, which was an amazing opportunity (resume gold, we thought).  Our world was trucking right along according to plan.  Then, on September 13, 1998 we had a little surprise.  Ok, not so little, we were going to have a baby.  We had intended to wait a couple of years, but the test was positive.  We were nervous, excited, nervous some more….all of the joys of the emotional roller coaster that every first time parent feels.  As far as unplanned goes, at least the timing worked out well.  The baby would be due in May, just around the time of my graduation.

Michael wanted a boy.  He tried really hard to convince me that it didn’t matter, but I knew deep down he hoped for a son.  I didn’t have a preference, but I kind of hoped for a boy to take the pressure off of any future pregnancies..lol!  I actually felt like it was going to be a boy until December.  That’s when we went in for the ever-anticipated ultrasound and, in addition to a good report, my doctor said he thought it was a girl.  He wasn’t able to get a very good look.  He wasn’t sure and was very clear about that, but he thought from a quick glimpse, that it was a girl.  We cautiously prepared for our daughter; I even had a pink baby shower.  Michael took it all in stride.  Never once did he act disappointed.  About 3 weeks before my due date, I had a follow up ultrasound.  My doctor said “what did I tell you that you were having?”  I said, “Well, you said you weren’t sure, but you thought it was a girl.”  He said, "Well, I'm glad I said I wasn't sure!"  Apparently the umbilical cord had been down covering the parts.  It took everything Michael had not to jump out of his seat.  He was thrilled (that’s when I realized just how badly he had wanted a boy!).  So after some exchanging and another baby shower (this time in blue), we were ready to see this baby boy. 

With my impending graduation and the fact that I had already begun to dilate, we agreed to induce on May 7, 1999 (just 2 days before Mother’s Day!).  After a perfect pregnancy and a perfect delivery, Cole Matthew Jackson was born that afternoon.  He was the most remarkable thing I had ever laid eyes on.  He was 7 lbs. 3 oz.  He immediately cried, boy did he cry, they took measurements, bathed him, and finally brought that perfect little bundle back to my room.  To look into his little eyes, the eyes of the one who made me a mom….there are no words.  My heart aches a little just thinking about it.  
We stayed in the hospital for 2 days, and then our new little family was released into the big ol’ world, new baby in tow.  Shortly after Cole’s birth and my graduation, we moved from Austin back to Angleton.  Cole was a great baby.  Sure, there was the initial shock of sleeplessness, but once we figured out that if we would feed him per his schedule instead of the one in the book, he was happy.  Everything began to settle down, and we enjoyed parenthood.


We did really well for the first couple of years.  Aside from Cole’s desire to run off when he was put down in any public place, we made it through what were supposed to be the terrible two’s.  We patted ourselves on the back thinking we must have been such good parents that we missed that dreaded stage.  Then……he turned THREE!
Hello, reality check.  A walking, talking, THINKING, three year old!!!  Why didn’t anyone warn us???  Every stage has the good and the not so good.  Three was tough, but we survived.  Cole started school and excelled in all subjects.  In Kindergarten, he won the award for best writing in the entire grade level.  



He is now in Junior High.  He continues to amaze me.  He has grown physically and emotionally, but more importantly, has also grown spiritually.  He blows my mind with his questions and his understanding.  I pray that God will protect him and use him.



11For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. ~Jeremiah 29:11-13



Cole-We love you very much.  You bring so much to our lives.  We know you will go on to do amazing things! J

No comments:

Post a Comment