Tuesday, April 10, 2012

And then there were two...


Like most people, I had a plan.  Although our pregnancy with Cole had been a surprise, I knew just when I wanted to try for Jackson #2.  Michael had graduated from U of H, Cole had turned 2, so within a few months, it was time to start the process.  I had decided 3 years was the perfect age gap, and since we weren’t trying when we got pregnant with Cole, I figured we should get pregnant right away.  First month…negative.  No big deal, I knew it might take a month or two.  Second month…negative.  This process continued for what felt like an eternity (looking back it was a very short time, but in the moment of “my plan”, it felt like forever).  I was diagnosed with PCOS and my doctor said “well, you can either begin some mild fertility treatments, or start back on birth control since that is the treatment for PCOS.”   Ok, I wanted another baby, but I wasn’t ready for 2 or 3 at a time, so back on the pill I went.  I began to wonder if we would be able to add to our sweet little family.  Cole was amazing and I felt a little guilty longing for another child so badly.  I had just assumed we would have two kids(that was my plan, afterall).  Well, during the second month of taking my pills, I accidentally skipped a couple of days.  Fast forward about 2 weeks….POSITIVE!  I may be the only person that had to get on birth control to get pregnant..lol!

 
Needless to say, after months of waiting, we were so excited to be pregnant (when you are trying, it feels like everywhere you look, someone is pregnant).  Anyway, Cole informed me that he had prayed for a brother.  I very gently informed him that we wouldn’t know for some time whether it would be a girl or a boy.  Well, apparently, God heard his prayer, and on November 22, 2002, Carter Lane Jackson entered the world at 8 lbs. 1 oz. 

Carter was a very serious baby taking the world in and watching his brother run about.  He was so sweet, and Cole adjusted to big-brotherhood pretty well.  He was in pre-school now, after all, so he was a very big boy.

Carter was our sicklier child (I can count on my hands the number of sick visits Cole has made to the doctor’s office). He had multiple ear infections and had tubes put in his ears at 13 ½ months old.  He has had many sinus infections, upper respiratory infections, and a mild case of pneumonia.  He had croup more times than I can count which required breathing treatments.  He’s had to be seen by a neurologist for migraines (which turned out to be ‘normal’, thankfully).  For the last couple of years, however, most of that has stopped, and he seems to stay healthy most of the time.  We are very grateful for that!

It was pretty incredible to watch Cole and Carter’s relationship form.  Still to this day, they fight and argue, but when one of them is not at home, the other is a little lost.  When one is hurt or feeling bad, the other wants to make sure he is ok (unless they are the one inflicting the pain..lol).  They love each other, and I pray that they will be close when they grow up.  I pray that they will realize what a gift God has given them in each other. 

Carter is now 9 years old and in the 3rd grade.  He, too, excels in school, surprising even his teachers at how quickly he acquires new material.  He plays basketball year round and is getting better all of the time.  He’s the one that we never know what he is going to say, and he analyzes pretty much everything all of the time.  I can’t wait to see how God is going to use this analytical mind of his.  He has a great big heart, and I love him to pieces.


I can do all this through him who gives me strength.~ Philipians 4:13

Carter-You are such an awesome kid.  We love you so very much and look forward to watching how you continue to grow both physically and spiritually!

No comments:

Post a Comment