Monday, March 12, 2012

Better to have loved and lost...

...than to have never loved at all. OK, maybe that's a little dramatic, but that's how I'm feeling...and no, not about Michael, but about friendships.

Some very good friends of ours are moving. My initial reaction was maybe I should just stop making friends.  This stinks!  It hurts!  Then, of course, I realize how important my friends are.  I can look back over my entire life, and it is defined by friends at various stages.  Not just acquaintances, but really good friends. The kind of friend that you truly rejoice with in the happy times and truly ache with when they hurt. You know, the kind of friend that you would defend against anyone.  The kind that you know you can call when you need something, anything at anytime and hope that they know they could do the same.  The kind of friend that you can be yourself with, not worrying if you don't have it all together all of the time and not worrying that if you disagree about something, they are going to think less of you.

Anyway, my point is that life goes through different changes and stages and sometimes that means friends move away or we move away.  As much as it hurts, I wouldn't change the friendships that I have had.  They have taught me how to love and care for people.  They have taught me things about myself, and they allow me to grow as a person, a friend, a mom, and a wife.


So, I choose to continue making friends and building relationships.  Only God knows how long each season will last, but I would rather love my friends and risk the pain of change, rather than build walls and miss out on the deep bonds of friendship.

Besides, with texting, blogs, tweeting, and even facebook (which I am strongly considering for you, Vanessa), friendships can thrive regardless of geography!!

No comments:

Post a Comment